What about the story?

We all do have stories to tell, experience to share and things to give but do we listen to stories? People are used to talk but they are need to be taught how to listen. I have always been a good listener or so I though and I have a story to share which will hopefully make you understand how little we truly listen.
I was passing by Euston station one day and noticed a homeless man sitting on the ground, with his back leaned on the wall of one of the office buildings and was holding a sign with his head down. I just passed by, did not pay attention. Couple days later I was walking the same way and noticed him again and so on, every other time in next couple of weeks. One day my eyes rested on the sign he was holding and I started to read. There was his name, age and part of his life story. Once I finished I continued my journey. At the time I had no idea how his story is going to reflect on me.
For next couple of days I was thinking about him and how he sits there everyday, sharing his life with others and how many times in past I have shared my story with others, over a pint of beer or in the safe space of my house. The difference was that my story was heard and reacted to nut his was not.
Next time,when I was passing by, I stopped and read the story again and after reading it I took a few coins I had in my pocket and gave it to him. I did this for over a week until one day he raised his head and said "Thank you". I did not responded and walked away with a little smile on my face.
Next day I was standing in a line in Costa coffee and instead of one cup of coffee I got two and a sandwich. When I got my order I went straight to him, asked if I can sit next to him and sat down and passed a cup of coffee and sandwich to him.
That day he told me his story. I sat there and listened how he lost everything he had. I don't want to retell the story because in the end, that is not the reason why I am writing this article. The reason is what he said after he finished talking. He turned to me and said: "Thank you for listening and being here. I haven't talked to anyone in weeks and sitting here with you reminds me who I am."
We all do have stories to tell, experience to share and things to give and we should listen to everyone who is out there because no matter who you are or how experienced you might be, there is always something for you to learn, there is always something for you to hear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How important it is to get inspired?